Frequently Asked Questions

  1. When do I need a Zoning Permit?

Zoning Code Section 2.2 states that, ” No building or other structure shall be erected. moved, added to, structurally altered, nor shall any building, structure, or land be established or changed in use without a permit therefore, issued by the Zoning Inspector, that does not conform with the provisions of this code, except agricultural structures or uses as defined in Section 519.01 of the Ohio Revised Code.

  1. When do I need a building permit?

Pleasant Township does not require a building permit but county and state permits are required for certain commercial projects.

  1. What are the setbacks required for building a house or accessory building?

See Section 8.2 and 8.3 of the Zoning Code for setback limits.

  1. Where can I conduct a business in the township?

The Business Zoning District is on Lancaster-Zanesville Road (State Route # 22) from the Lancaster Corporation to the Lake Road intersection and includes both sides of Route # 22. Also see Section 8.9 of the Pleasant Township Zoning Code.

  1. When would I need a  “Variance”?

A Variance is needed when an applicant contacts the Zoning Inspector and is told that he cannot obtain a permit because the request does not comply with the Pleasant Township Zoning Code. The applicant then appeals to the Pleasant Township Board of Zoning Appeals to “vary” the Zoning Code. The Zoning Inspector will provide the proper paperwork to the applicant and will file it with the Board when it is completed and returned.

  1. Can I construct a Modular Home in Pleasant Township?

A Modular Home is treated the same as any other home and can be constructed anywhere a residential home would be allowed. See the definition of a Modular Home in Section X of the Zoning Code under Manufactured Home and Manufactured Home, Permanently sited.

  1. How do I apply to get land re-zoned?

You would contact the Zoning Inspector and he would file your information with the Pleasant township Zoning Commission.

  1. What are the regulations for a lot split?

Fairfield County Regional Planning is responsible for lot splits in the county. Contact them for current regulations. See the Pleasant Township Zoning Code, Section 8.2 to see the size of lots required for specific zoning districts.

  1. Where can I see a the Pleasant Township Zoning Code.

Click here, or Fairfield County Regional Planning has copies for sale.

  1. How much does a zoning permit cost?

Contact our office for current fees.